The CDC estimates that approximately 400 people die from unintentional CO exposure in their homes each year in the United States. The same data indicates that another 307 people are transported to the Emergency Department of their local hospital each year for symptoms related to CO exposure.

The good news is that carbon monoxide poisoning can be prevented with simple actions that you can take to protect your family such as installing a CO alarm.

Carbon Monoxide has no odor, color or taste so it can't be detected by our normal senses.     This means that dangerous levels of the gas can build up indoors and we have no way of knowing until we become ill.....or worse.      The other challenge is that when people do become sick, the symptoms mimic the flu which can often result in victims ignoring the early signs of CO poisoning.

What are some common sources of CO in your home?

  • Clothes Dryers
  • Water Heaters
  • Furnaces or Boilers
  • Fireplaces (both gas and wood burning)
  • Gas stoves and ovens.
  • Vehicles
  • Grills, generators, power tools and lawn equipment
  • Wood Stoves

If you don't have Carbon Monoxide Detectors in your home, please visit our Home Safety Page today.

Older Post

0 comments

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published